Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here Comes National Pie Day!

Dear fellow Friends of Pie,

As some of you are aware, last year, I hosted the first annual Pie Appreciation Contest in honor of National Pie Day (January 23rd). The entries were all so inspiring and exciting that I then commenced my personal Pie Odyssey to better enjoy, experience, and promote pie. So it is only fitting that I revisit my roots and announce: The Second Annual Pie Appreciation Contest! Hooraaaayyyyy!

Those pie lovers among you who participated in last year's contest will remember that this is not a baking or recipe contest. This is about proving who loves pie the most, and the lengths that you will go to prove it, so non-bakers are more than welcome to enter. The categories of entry are the same, although the prizes are actually being arranged in advance this year and they are sooooo cool (P.S., If you entered last year and I never told you, your prize was the homemade pie of your choice; contact me for details).

The contest features the following four areas of competition:
1. Best photograph of a pie or slice of pie made or eaten by entrant in honor of National Pie Day. Entries will be judged on quality of photograph as well as perceived tastiness of the pie. Pie can be either sweet or savory. Note: you do not have to have made the pie, as long as you consume it. Since we are all amateurs however, homemade pies will not be judged on as strict an aesthetic basis.

2. Best popular song rewritten to honor pie. You do not have to record this, just send me your pie lyrics.

3. Best essay about a personal experience you have had making or eating a pie. 500 words or less please.

4. Wild Card: if none of these categories appeal to you, do something special to demonstrate your devotion to pie (i.e., eat 10 or more pieces in a day, knit a pie, choreograph a dance about pie, write a great pie joke etc.)

Contest Rules: Entries must be original to this year's contest. Collaboration between participants is fine, but if you collaborate, only one entry per household or group per category. Otherwise, you may each enter every category once. You can enter as many categories as you chose. In the unlikely event of a four category sweep by a single individual, I will get very excited and you will get some kind of extra prize. Probably a pie. All entries must be submitted via e-mail to me by 8 p.m. eastern on Friday, 23 Jan. Judging will be arbitrary and irrational, and no complaints about judging will be entertained. I reserve the right to make up new rules as the contest progresses. Entries will be posted on the blog with your first name and hometown. Now go enjoy some pie!

5 comments:

Helen said...

Yaaaay! National Pie Day! I have missed you so. I am glad you are doing the contest again dear Ellen and I am eager to get to work. Not sure which category I'm going for yet. There should be a Monty's category, methinks, for the person who eats the most slices of pie at Monty's in one sitting.

Ellen said...

I know! How do we survive an entire year between National Pie Days???

There should be an entire Monty's category, because I'm so biased in favor of any expression of pie appreciation that involves Monty's pie, that it really wouldn't be fair for other establishments to have to compete. Although now that you guys live on the West side, I assume you eat more pie at Hubbard Avenue?

Anonymous said...

National Pie Day is my favorite holiday after National Talk Like A Pirate Day. Hooooorrraaaaaaah!

p.s.
history is stoopid

Ellen said...

David! I always knew that you were a man of taste and discernment. How will you guys be celebrating National Pie Day?

Anonymous said...

I have to report that though I could not submit an entry by the context deadline, I did celebrate NPD. Dad and I went to Spring Street Grill, home of NWA's best pies, and we shared a slice of coconut cream. Yum! Yum!