Friday, January 23, 2009

National Pie Day '09: Hard Boiled Egg Pie

I've been wanting to make this pie for ages now, and today seemed like an appropriate occasion. I used a recipe from Retro Pies by Linda Everett which claims that hard boiled egg pie originated in Arkansas in the 1820s. We'll have to poke around and see if we can find any evidence of this. I realize that the pictures look kind of gross, but it smells really good and passes my test by containing only ingredients that I like. The pictures you are seeing are sliced eggs in a pre-cooked crust, eggs with sauce and veggies on top, and pie with pre-baked crust rounds on top. The sauce is kind of a white sauce with cheese and sherry and there are onions, celery and peas tossed in. This is either going to be delicious, or really foul.

5 comments:

susanskoe said...

FOUL! It's just wrong, ellen!!

Ellen said...

What's that you say? You'd like a one-way ticket to boiled egg pie town? Actually, despite the disgusting looking pictures, it was really quite good. Others seemed to like it too; the whole thing got eaten. It kind of tasted like a cross between a quiche and an egg salad sandwich. The sauce was kind of hollandaisey as well, so maybe also a bit like an eggs benedict pie? I think you would like it; I will make you one next time I see you....

erika said...

WOAH - I have never seen anything like that. I love eggs benedict, though, and would happily try it.

I have to admit that when I saw the picture of the egg-filled pie, I thought it was a joke.

Anonymous said...

I pine for a new post! Every time I look at the odyssey, I see that yucky egg pie. Please, bring us fruit, berry, even squash! Anything but that egg pie!

Anonymous said...

Will you post any of the Pie Day entries? I'm sorry I missed it this year but was hoping to see some excellent entries.